Monday, June 30, 2008

Family Sunday
Saturday was Marcy and my 6th anniversary. To celebrate, we dumped the spud up with my parents and then went to...wait for it...wait for it... dinner and a movie! Wooooowwwwwwweeeeee!!!!!! You'd think that we were 60 or something with how excited we were to drive one mile (too drizzly to ride our bikes), have some dinner, take in a movie (Indiana Jones) and then go home and not have to worry about anyone or anything but ourselves. Heaven.
For Sunday, I planned on riding my road bike up to my parents where Marcy would meet me, we'd all go for a mountain bike ride and then head back to Damariscotta. Well, the weather gods gave me the high hard one and decided to give us drenching downpours instead so Marcy and I piled into the Element and headed up to retrieve B. By the time we got there, the rain had died down so after a bit of waiting we deemed it ok to ride so all of us (my mom, dad, brother Darren, Marcy, myself and Brynna) all got geared up for a ride.
An excited B before the start.

A VERY excited Chance.

This would be Brynna's first "mountain bike" ride ever so we weren't sure how it would go. The first part was mostly just an old abandoned dirt road and B was ok on the smooth parts but hated the bumps. I was a bit suprised but it turns out she was trying to fall asleep and the bumps would wake her up. As soon as we hit a smooth dirt road she was out like a light so instead of continuing on the ride (through more rough areas) Marcy, my brother and I circled back via road, chugged up a 12% climb (try doing that with 40-ish pounds hanging from your rear hub!) and waited for my mom and dad to get back with the pooch. We did a bit of quick re-fueling and we headed back out (minus B and my mom) for some more riding putting in close to another 1:30.
I've got to say, I'm pretty impressed with how my parents and brother's riding skills have progressed in the last couple of months. My brother isn't exactly gifted when it comes to coordination but somehow he's managed to turn himself into a respectable rider. At least now I'm not completely embarassed to be seen riding with him! :)
B on the skills course. Somebody might be getting a 2-wheeler for her B-day!


If you look closely you can see that B is wearing the medal that she won at last year's Grillz kids race. She will not ride her bike without it. Motivation I guess.

2 comments:

Groover said...

You are one cycling enthusiastic family. That's so cool. And B has all right to be proud of her medal. :-)

rick is! said...

yeah, something has clicked in my family this year and now everyone rides a fair amount. my other brother commutes his bike to work almost every day in Boston. I guess all those years of pestering them has paid off.