Friday, June 27, 2008

No ride

No riding for me yesterday. Instead, I nursed my ailing backside from Wednesday's roadage. The taint feels like Marcy was working me over with a cat-o-nine tails all night which is insane because it wasn't even Saturday and we all know that the cat is reserved for our anniversary (6 years tomorrow).


Speaking of Marcy, she's been doing a lot more riding recently, mostly in the form of commuting. Her total commute from our house is about 20 miles and she hasn't felt quite up to that yet but has been riding from home to my office where she can shower. I then meet her, give her the car and spud and she heads to work. It has all worked out quite nicely. First, we've gotten to the point that we only use two cars once or twice a week. Plus, on the days that she rides in, I get to ride home since she has the car after her morning commute. Win, win, win in my book. Of course, now that she's riding more she's getting a bit of upgrade-itis. She's been riding her Trek Fuel mostly because right now her road bike stretches her out too much and leaves her with a sore neck for the day. I've been trying to sort out the road bike fit but we still aren't quite there yet. Because she's been riding the Fuel so much recently we've started to realize how old the old girl is getting (the bike, not Marcy). We figure 8 years is a pretty good lifespan for a mountain bike. Sure, I've upgraded bits and pieces along the way but in essence, she's still 8 years old. With that in mind, we've begun to think (a bit) about what new ride she'd get. It makes sense to go with a super sweet Salsa but which one? The El Santo would work well for her and would be a reliable rig for years to come, plus she'd have back-up tires to call upon (no wheels though since I want her to have disc brakes) and will have her Nokian studded tires for winter use. BUT, we're definitely considering Salsa's new Big Mama. It's similar to the bike that she has now but oh-so-much sweeter and with a bit more travel. What to do, what to do? Who knew that lusting for bikes could be so fun even when they aren't for yourself.

No comments: