Thursday, May 10, 2012


T-I-R-E-D

You might want to sit down for a minute before I tell you what I'm about to tell you. 

Are you seated?  No?  Well, what are you waiting for?

All set?  OK.  Here comes the bombshell.  My legs are tired because I've actually been riding and running a lot (for me at least) for the last couple of weeks.  There are always curve balls thrown in the way on occasion but I think (I hope!) that I've finally found a way to make it work this summer.  Three days in a row of solid rides and runs have my legs more shot than they've been in a while.  Yay!  I'm still a bit concerned about my endurance but the speed is coming along nicely and I don't have any long races for a while anyway so color me happy.

On Tuesday night the legs were shot enough that I actually busted out the rollers to massage the muscles a bit so that I wouldn't be a lactic acid bloated turd on the Wednesday night Cyclemainia mountain bike ride.


To be even more readyer, I showed up to the ride location a half hour early to get a decent warm-up in before the suffering began.  Unfortunately, just as I was about to leave, instigator number one, Sebastian, showed up to warm up for his own ride.  As a result, my warm up ended up being a suffer up with me chasing him around but at least the legs were ready when the group showed up!

Thankfully, all of this worked (mostly) and I was almost able to hang with Sebastian on the hilly somewhat mud fest.  The dude used to race elite downhill and it shows.  The faster, nastier, more technical things get, the faster he gets.  I was downright scared TRYING to hold his wheel (which I never really did) on some of the downhills (and uphills and flataways for that matter).

Now I hurt and my bike is a wreck so it's time for a day or two off while I fix things up a bit and get ready for the stellar weekend ahead.


2 comments:

Alby King said...

Good to see your getting in some time. Reckon your doing the Mayhem..? Seeing how the Weeping Willow sold out.

rick is! said...

you are correct sir. It pained me to not do weeping willow but I need to support my local races. plus, the mayhem is super fun.