Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Victory!

Yesterday, what I expected to be a lonely solo ride turned out to be a fun as hell rip with C-Dog. With all of the recent rain (and the cold temps yesterday), the trails have set up nicely. I didn't have time to set the El Mariachi up with the studded tires so I was rolling the Mukluk once again. This time I had the foresight to pump the tires up to 22 lbs of pressure and that made a HUGE difference. What was once a slow, plodding, lumbering mess on anything but snowy trails was now a vicious demon just begging to be pushed hard.  It was an amazing change.  From now on, I'll be keeping the tires aired up and only dump air as trail conditions require because there certainly are conditions that require 5 psi.



C-Dog and I ended up with a 1:44, 10.4 mile ride on some pretty nice trails.  Sadly, because of all of the recent rains, we couldn't do the full loop since it required riding over two very large, and potentially deadly, ponds so we did a shortened version.  We still managed to get our feet wet though.  Hurah!  One time, quite comically, C proclaimed that he had found the perfect way over one of the wet areas only to suddenly crash through the snice right up to his hubs.  Dunking his feet in the process.  Just as I was about to laugh and point, I fell through as well soaking both feet.  Woops.  Thankfully, we were both wearing winter riding boots so the water only made it as far as our ankles before our socks soaked it up so the toes were spared.  
C-dog's crank area (hopefully the last time I ever photo his crank area) post ride.  notice ice inside of the crank spindle?  frozen solid.

And, as promised, here is a vid of Marcy ripping it up on Friday on the Carver snow bike.  It looked faster in person...

7 comments:

WillC said...

Rick - Are those trails rideable in the summer or is that really only a winter riding route?

rick is! said...

the route changes slightly in the summer since you're no longer a slave to well traveled snowmo trails but, yes, it is rideable and very fun. you'd have already known that if you called me this past summer... :)

Unknown said...

I thought it was 12.4mi

Unknown said...

my crank is very photogenic

rick is! said...

sorry, you were right 12.4.

WillC said...

Wow. I feel like a d-bag.

rick is! said...

I won't hold it against you will. just call me this summer...