Thursday, June 11, 2009




This morning (or yesterday morning depending on when i actually post this) I actually made it out for a short road ride before work. A few years ago, I used to frequently rise at 3:30 in order to get in a good ride before work. This no longer works for me since I'm always in a state of sleep deprivation and I want nothing to do with an alarm going off at 3:30 am. Today, though, I managed to get up at 4:45 to try and squeeze in a 2-2.5 hour ride. Unfortunately I awoke with a splitting headache. I wanted, more than anything, to abort the ride but the forecast showers were holding off and I didn't know when another ride window would open so I kitted up and hoped that I would shake off the headache once on the road.

30 minutes into the ride I was feeling semi human so I decided to pull up one of my saved workouts on the Edge and see if I could do a mini-structured workout in order to get things firing. The 10/30 second interval workout seemed like a winner since it only took 10 minutes and would allow me to get things moving without asking too much from my frail, exhausted body. Halfway into the workout I knew I didn't have it and all of a sudden my plan for 2 hours on the road was replaced with going straight to the office to "work". Oh well, at least I got a ride in.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are doing much better than I am. I can't seem to get on the bike to save my life this week and I'm not building a house! I used to love early morning rides and haven't pulled one off yet this year. Perhaps your post will give me some motivation to do a few. Some nice weather would also help!

rick is! said...

tell me about it, what is with all this frickin rain? my camper is about to float off!