Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Fenders and Idiocy





Today's ride is powered by fenders and idiocy. Or, maybe it's fenders and optimism? I'm not sure which yet but when I awoke to walk the dog this a.m. the skies were overcast and there was a steady, light rain. I would have loved to not ride this morning but, unfortunately, my belly the waist band of my pants has been getting in the way of my belly recently so a slack day was definitely not in order. Thankfully, I haven't taken the recalled stem off my El Mariachi yet so I still had my fender shod warrior at my disposal. The El plus just the right amount of ignorance and a touch of optimism was the recipe for a salvaged commute. It turned out the ride wasn't nearly as nasty as it could have been given all the festive colors on the weather map during the morning news. In fact, my clothes may even be dry for this afternoon's ride home. Of course, they're calling for a deluge in the p.m. so even if my clothes have dried, they'll immediately be soaking wet in short order. Good times, very good times indeed.

Speaking of good times, in the past seven days I managed to ride on dirt four times. I think that's pretty dam good considering I'd ridden on dirt a total of zero times in the six months prior. Basically, after Thursday's ride with the boys when I discovered just how sweet the riding conditions are right now I've been sneaking in a ride every chance I could get. Over the weekend it involved getting up extra early so I could get my ride in before heading to the house. As a bonus, Sunday morning I was even able to get Marcy to come out with me for an hour.



GRRRRR


It felt so good to be riding on dirt again that while in one of my ride induced euphoric states I hatched a plan for a late summer social/ride event. I'm not sure of the details yet but you should go ahead right now and block off all weekends in September so that you don't do something silly like schedule your wedding or child's birth on what could be the greatest weekend of you life. More to come.


2 comments:

the original big ring said...

Looks like my first dirt ride of the season will be taking place on Saturday. Can't wait, been toooooooo long.

rick is! said...

give'er hell!