Thursday, January 22, 2009

How a week slips away

Today, on my morning commute, it occured to me that I hadn't been on my bike in exactly a week, the last time I was able to commute. I was kind of distressed by the fact that it had gone so quickly and easily. Granted, it has been months since I've been able to ride regularly so this is a typical thing for me these days but it was still distressing. This time last year I'd be freaking if I hadn't done something bikewise in two days time. My, how things change! Thankfully, I was able to squeeze in a spin class on Monday, a bunch of 20-30 minute jogs with the pooch and some pilates/cyclo-core work so I'm not feeling like a total slouch. Come to think of it, given my lack of riding, I felt pretty darn good this morning including while climbing a couple of 20% grades that had me turning 30 rpms (I nearly had to wrap bungee cords around my knee caps to keep them in place) so maybe things will be ok come spring.

Of course my reasons for riding little are pretty good (unlike most of big mac America). 1. I'm really busy at work and that's a pretty darn good thing considering the economy is circling the toilet bowl. 2. we're really cranking on the house. We've got all of the roof rafters on now and if things go well will have most of the house enclosed in a couple weeks time. This is also a pretty darn good thing considering all we've paid for so far are materials (and through my connections, some of that has been free as well!) and the foundation. Sure, I've also paid a bit with my sanity and lack of free time but when all is said and done we're going to have a frickin sweet house that we'll owe no more on than the itty bitty ranch we were living in before.

I think it's time to stop bitching and realize that life is pretty darn good for me right now. I've got a good marriage, a great kid, a good job, a sweet house being built, a sweet bike being planned and the prospect of the summer ahead ready to be enjoyed.

Ok, all of a sudden my day is looking up!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

As the great Monty Python said:
"Always look on the bright side of life"