Friday, September 12, 2008

12 Hrs

Well, I've finally put my money where my mouth is and threw down the cashola to register for the solo SS class for next weekend's Bradbury 12. I'm sure I'll regret the decision at some point mid-race but if I ride smart (unlike last year!) I should still have a good time. A cool bonus is that the prize for the SS winner is a sweet Carver SS frame. If I win (and that is a ginormous IF ) maybe I can convince Davis to make me up a snow bike instead! Keep dreaming sucker. It sure is nice to dream though since snow is quickly approaching the great white north.

I'm psyched beyond belief about just riding at Bradbury for a whole day. The trails there are frickin awesome with lots of tight, twisty single track, a bunch of bridges and just enough technical stuff to keep people honest. If I had my way, there'd be more tech stuff in the race course since that is where I excel nowadays but I'll take riding on a ANY single track at this point so I won't complain.

Speaking of bridges, this bad boy was built at a recent trail day:




Previously you had to either ride the skinny board shown in the first pic which was impossible at race pace or blast through the stream bed. Option two doesn't look bad in the pic but it was actually pretty tricky and it meant maintaining your momentum for the STEEP uphill immediately afterwards was extremely difficult. Add the bridge and you'll probably be able to swoop right on up roller coaster style. Nice stuff.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Thats awesome they put in the bridge! I wish I could have made it to the trail days. So Burns and I are doing a two man team, we thought maybe you can Mike Joos could be the 2nd bikeman team. I thought you were done racing for the year. I am glad you will be there. Hopefully the field will be larger then last year.

See you at the race!

Pete said...

Good luck dude, doesn't look like I will be on the east coaset till the following week so no race for pete.

Enjoy!

Jason said...

nice bridge! trail gnomes rocks.
j

rick is! said...

no solos for you guys this year huh andrew? At least two of us learned our lessons!

Pete, sorry you can't make it. It would have been cool to have a left coaster on hand.

Jason, trail gnomes do rock. They have a twice montly underpants convention at Bradbury (little south park reference).

bikemike said...

Hey,

I gotta make up my mind tomorrow as to whether I'm doing the 12 hour or not. Have not gotten steady sleep for a month and a bit of a wreck along with being totally unprepared for the event. (i don't even have a light except for an old one from years ago)

Could be fun regardless, spoke to Drew today and will make a decision tomorrow.

Hope to see you there.

rick is! said...

mike, you HAVE to be there! you'll mash some heads prepared or not.

as far as the light goes, the good news is that since the race ends at 8 you only need a light for a couple of hours.