Friday, August 08, 2008

Preparations Made

Well, it's almost go time for one of my favorite races of the season, the Maine Sport Run-Off and I'm as ready as I can get. I've made it to the venue a few times over the last two months to try to get the course dialed and I've followed my training plan as closely as possible given my current "life in crisis" mode I've been in for the last couple of months. Do I feel like I could win this weekend? Maybe, that depends a lot on who shows up, if Andrew or Mike show, I'm screwed for sure. I know Wheels will be there but with his tiny 26" wheels I feel I can give him a run for his money if the legs are feeling well. Who knows what will happen really but I'll be there with guns blazing.

Speaking of Wheels, over the past few weeks I've been kind enough to offer my local knowledge of the Camden trails to Wheels so that he has a chance of riding better than a 3rd grader at this weekend's race. We've ridden there once recently and had several other rides cancelled because of rain (or because he is the world's worst weatherman). In fact, I offered to go over the other day as well and this is the response I got:


Rick,I'm off to Popham with the fam today. This week is shot for me. I'll be flying blind Sunday.Hope you crash more!

How do you like them smack talk/mind game babble. He simultaneously makes out like he's going to be weak (rope a dope style) while subtly reminding me that I crashed twice there the other day. Nice try man but I rode there the other day and nailed those two sections so I'm faster than ever before through them. Suck it! Now there's some smack talk for ya.





Oh yeah, and remember the other day when I mentioned that Steve just completed the Tour Divide race? Well there is a write up on it HERE. Once again, congrats Steve.

3 comments:

Wheels said...

Little Red Racin' Rick: "My what small wheels you have Wheels."
Wolf Wheels: "All the better to carry uphill in the mud, my dear."

Unknown said...

Wheels, you ride a bike and push a wheelbarrow.
Rick, I will be there. Not sure how I will be feeling after a week of getting fat, but I am stoked for this race! I love it!
See you Sunday.

Jason said...

Good luck Rick! Rock the Dos Niner!