Monday, August 18, 2008

Out With a Bang?

Sunday was a race day which meant I REALLY needed to get a quick spin in on Saturday to avoid dead leg syndrome. I learned the hard way last week that it does indeed work. Brynna had spent the night at the grandparents on Friday so that meant that Marcy and I could actually get out for a ride together for once. Marcy's mystery illness (turns out it is not Giardia) has kept her pretty much sidelined for a month so this was her first time out in quite a while. She started off a bit slow but soon warmed up and was doing a pretty good job for someone who has lost 10 lbs from being sick and can't eat much more than 5-600 calories a day. Hopefully she'll come around just in time for late summer/fall riding which is, as we all know, the primo time of year to be in the saddle.

We ended up with 1:20 of ride time, I was able to get in some short, quick bursts of intensity to open up the legs and most importantly, Marcy and I had fun together. I'd say that buys me at least another week before she gets too tired of me to go on.

It's been raining like crazy here lately and the trails showed it, they were mostly in good condition, with only standing water in the "road" sections but the amount of fungal growth was astounding. Below are two of the hundreds of mushrooms we rode by. Pretty amazing stuff. We have one mushroom in our yard that grows bigger than a softball every few days (after I pick it and huck it into the woods).



Oh yeah, and I had a bike race this weekend...

4 comments:

Wheels said...

Way to go out on top!

rick is! said...

what makes you think I went out on top? I haven't done the race report yet... :)

Jason said...

Fantastic finish! You must be stoked!

j

rick is! said...

you know what's worse than final placings that don't get posted for a month? Final standings that get posted the next day. Now there's no mystery. :(