Tuesday, July 22, 2008

To Be Expected


With the impending (hopefully) sale of our house and the ensuing cluster-f that will be design and construction I've decided to not miss a single opportunity to ride since they will be few and far between. Yesterday's plan was that the fam would ride (in the car) to work together and then Marcy would ride her bike home but just in case she wasn't up to it (she's had stomach issues recently) I brought my bike to ride it I had the opportunity.



Fast forward to the end of the day, Marcy wasn't feeling well so I got the green light to ride home. It had been overcast all day but no rain and as I headed over to change a light drizzle had started. The conditions were such that if I ample time to ride I probably would have pulled the plug but as I said, I need to maximize my time, so I decided to give it a go. I ran in, changed, came out five minutes later and it was freaking pouring! Cats and dogs. Frig! Of course, by this point I had no choice since my ride home had left 20 minutes earlier so I was committed.



Once on the road I remembered how enjoyable a rainy ride can be. Once you accept being wet and can actually be pretty fun. Until you get a flat. Less than 10 minutes into the ride I left the rainy area and was greeted with dry roads but before I could enjoy it for even a minute I realized I had a flat front tire. By the time I had it fixed the rain had caught up to me and I was getting drenched again. Riding in the rain can be fun. Changing a flat in the rain sucks monkey nuts.

Rating: 1 wet squirrel.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Well? How many squirrels?

rick is! said...

sorry. I'll get on that.

Jason said...

that sucks. only thing worse (IMHO) is changing a flat in the mud.

rick is! said...

you are definitely right on that one. mud in and on everything...ensuring another flat from debris in the tire.