Monday, July 14, 2008

MMBA #3 Campus Krusher


Sucks monkey balls. Ok, that wasn't fair because, in reality, the course seemed like it would have been fun if I had been able to race beyond 15 minutes.


Here is the short rundown. Concert Friday night in Portland. In bed at 3 am. Awake by six but doze on and off until 8-ish. Too tired Saturday to loosen the legs for Sunday's sufferfest so I figured I'd take my chances with dead legs come Sunday.


Sunday morning I headed up solo, met up with Wheels, Andrew, Al and Steve for a pre-ride. The course was primo technical with lots of rocks/roots and tight turns. Minus the tight turns it was a perfect 29'er course, especially the trail called "King Root" where I witnessed a couple of 26" riders come to complete and abrupt stops while we rolled right on through. The legs felt fairly good during the pre-ride so I was hopeful that things would come around during the race.


The gun went off with the whole pro/expert field going off at once (yippee!) and after a minute of complete squirrel, I found myself third wheel behind Wheels and Andrew. In the first tech section Wheels' itty bitty 26" wheels got caucht up in the deep roots so I was able to slide past. Unfortunately, once we hit an open road section I realized the legs weren't opened up yet so I let both Wheels and Al (on his fully rigid Mamasita) roll past hoping that once my legs loosened up I'd bridge back up.


Fast forward a few more minutes and after a short, punchy climb a pokey rock nicked my front tire sidewall and I heard the sickening sound of air leaking out of the tire. Unfortunately, I didn't hear any Stans leaking out to fix the puncture. I stopped quick to try to get some Stans in the area of the puncture and soon realized that the tire was basically dry inside (maybe I should have put some in like I had thought about Saturday night!). Ok, no biggie, I'll just throw a tube in and hope to not lose too much more time. No go here either. As I tried to unthread the nut holding the tubeless valve in it seized up so I couldn't take the valve out to get a tube in. After a few minutes of fighting with it I threw in the towel and made the walk of shame out to dnf. Son of a bitch.

I can kiss that slim master of mud lead goodbye.

Rating: 1/2 of a rotten squirrel.


On a good note, since I bailed so early I was able to get home hours earlier than usual so that I was able to work on B's swingset, mow the lawn AND get out for a nice ride with the fam (more on that later).

3 comments:

Jeff Kerkove said...

Dude, the squirrel photos are LOL funny!

rick is! said...

sadly, the squirrels are the best part of my blog these days.

Wheels said...

Unlucky! That race could have had a lot of drama.