Wednesday, April 02, 2008

yesterday

Yesterday's training plan called for a pant load of intervals. Ironic since on my way over to change I had to make an emergency potty run for a major evacuation. Considering the intestinal distress I was unsure how the session would go but I would soon find out.

When I went inside to change we had overcast skies (as we had all day but no rain) but, of course, when I emerged all kitted up it had started to rain lightly. F! Of course, I wasn't going to let a bit 'o rain dampen my ride (ouch, bad joke) so I headed out for my warm-up. Thankfully, things initially seemed to be ok and I felt fairly spanky. My first 3 min interval went well with me hitting my highest HR so far this pre-season but from there it all kind of went downhill. Through the next 6 or 7 intervals, my stomach started to cramp and I occasionally felt like I might vomit (from some extreme heartburn). The cramping was bad enough that I started running the scenarios through my head of what the emergency procedure might be if I had to answer the call. Making an emergency stop in the summer when you have leaves around is bad but tolerable but the prospect of using a pine cone didn't seem appealing. After some soul searching I realized it was probably better to take a quicker route home since all other options involved a very uncomfortable ride home in a less that sanitary chamois.

Somehow, I made it through the workout without turning into a double ended party favor and made it home without downloading in my pants. Oh and I found time to change the cable and housing on the road steed to that I won't have to worry about endoing every time the chain skips. Yay for me.

In less disgusting news, I am confirmed to race in this weekend's crit training race down in Portland. It'll be a good test of the early season fitness.

3 comments:

Wheels said...

Why did I continue to read after: "I had to make an emergency potty run for a major evacuation."?!

rick is! said...

because of the blog magic you knew would follow.

Unknown said...

Is this a late April's fools post? Pine cones are the best thing for cling-ons