Tuesday, April 01, 2008

yeah baby

Even though ma nature has been giving us north eastern folks the high hard one so far this spring it looks like we've got a couple of decent days ahead of us. Today we may even see temps reach into the low 60's! To celebrate I plan on heading out for a nice ride after work this afternoon. We may get a little rain this afternoon but if the temps hold near 60 I'll still by happy. Hopefully my legs will be ready for the onslaught of intervals waiting for them tonight. They've been feeling a bit peekid the last couple of days after the slow week last week. Maybe the warm temps will help them too.

With the race season just around the corner I'm feeling a bit unprepared. Training is going fine so physically I should be ok but I'm not sure if I've made the mental switch necessary to get really fired up and ready to rip. Maybe, just maybe, if some of this warm weather sticks around and I get to actually ride on dirt that will change. The way things look now I may only get a few real mountain bike rides in before my first race of the season in May. Then again, everybody else here in Maine is in the same boat (and maybe even less likely to get our and train in this crappy weather) so I'm probably ok there. The bikes are another matter.

Last weekend I pulled the Dos down from the garage rafter hooks to get it prepped for the early season. The bike was still sporting the Bradbury 12 number plate (and some of the mud) from last September, the last time I rode the bike. I had meant to get it to the shop this winter but my cheapness and procrastination won out and now I'm left with a bike in desperate need of some tlc. Of course, this is the worst time of year to bring a bike to your local shop since every other meathead is having the same thoughts so I'll probably just hack away myself. I only really new cables and grips installed so it's obviously doable but if I were to do everything that should be done, the list would be much longer (like overhauling the fork, bottom bracket, headset etc). Maybe I'll wait until after the muddy races to get that stuff done since the first muddy race will probably toast a new bottom bracket anyway. Long story short, it's time to start utcing around with the bike again.

In other ride/racing news, I heard from Mad Mike today and he told me that the weekly crit series down in Portland starts this Sunday. I'm not a huge fan of crits but they are a good way to get in some serious training early in the season to get the legs firing on all cylinders. I guess I'll have to see if I can carve out a few Sundays to get down there so I can almost screw up Mike's breakaways again, just like last year. FYI, you can talk me into doing just about anything in a road race because I am such a newb. Tell me to go to the front and chase down my friend's breakaway and I'm your man. I'm a douche and road racers have a fine tuned ability for psychological warfare.

No comments: