Friday, April 11, 2008

daddy duty

I'm home this a.m. on daddy duty. The spud came down with a fever and some super sweet explosive diarrhea overnight so I'm attempting to do the work from home thing today. I've managed a couple of hours so far but not sure how much more I'll get in before Marcy gets home to spell me. The weather is pretty sweet right now so maybe I'll ride the bike into work for the afternoon work thing. Weather is iffy for the commute back BUT it will definitely stank all weekend with rains predicted so I'm not going to look this gift ride in the mouth (whatever the freak that means!).

I'm really behind work hours wise so far this week, both because of today and also because of yesterday. I made the mistake of going outside a little after noon and saw how freakin sweet it was outside. Sunny and 60-ish. PUUUUURECT spring riding weather. When I plopped my ass back down in my chair I sooooo knew that I wasn't finishing out the afternoon so I quickly dialed up Marcy and an off the cuff plan was formulated. I'd skip out from work an hour early, haul serious ass home (I rode in yesterday) and get the pooch and gear ready for a hike while Marcy picked up B. I was pretty geeked to ride AND hike in these awesome conditions and the legs showed it. I gave myself a very short warm up (about 5 minutes) and then put the hammer down and took full advantage of some spring day induced magic legs. I was on tap for a near record commute time when I hit a small rock and pinch flatted my rear tire. I ended up stopping on the Damariscotta/Newcastle bridge so I was being very careful to not drop anything into the river below. I got the tube replace, the wheel remounted and was standing the bike back up when a gust of wind blew through and blew my gloves right off the bridge and into the river and I was forced to watch them float slowly upriver (incoming tide) FFFFFFFF!!!!!! Total bummer because those were my favorite do-it-all gloves for spring riding, driving, hiking etc etc.

I waved my gloves goodbye and headed home.

Unfortunately, by the time Marcy and B got home B had decided she didn't want to hike so we settled on riding over to the grocery store for sushi and ice cream. For all you sushi snobs out there, our store actually has very good and most importantly, fresh sushi so suck it!

I'm hoping to get the dos all fixed up over the weekend (new cables, bars, grips etc etc) for some dirt next week. Fingers crossed.

That is all.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Words of advice...
Jumping into the water for a pair of gloves isn't really worth it, but if you through your wheel into the river then it would be worth jumping in to recieve both! Its like the joke where a man doing his business in an out house drops some change down the hole when he pulls up his pants. He figures it isn't worth going into the pit of an out house for some change, but if entire wallet was down there then it would be, so he takes his wallet out of his pocket and tosses it into the poop hole. So going down into the pooh hole was worth it, he got his wallet and his change, only to remember he didn't have any $ in his wallet.