Friday, March 14, 2008

musings

I'm sitting here thinking about many things for the upcoming season. For once, I feel like I have a handle on my training for the season (thanky Lynda!). It may not be a perfectly tailored plan but so far it seems pretty spot on for me, plus it's pretty flexible. Unfortunately, while I feel my training will finally be focused enough to train right I think my professional and personal life will be trowing giant wrenches into the whole plan. I shouldn't say "unfortunately" really because its all good. Who can complain when they have a wife who loves you and more importantly, puts up with your crap (and I fling lots of crap), a great kid who is a blast to be around and spend time with, the opportunity to design and build a house exactly the way you want it (within our meager budget at least) and a career that it moving along nicely? Somebody should really flog me for being such a winey little bitch but it's the American way to bitch about everything so I'm waving the flag high and proud!


Anyway, I'm looking ahead to the upcoming race season and realizing some changes need to be made. First of all, I think I'm going to have to nix any race further than New Hampster for this year. Mostly because I can't afford to be away as much this year with all that is going on but also because of these stinking gas prices. Typically, I go out of my way to try not to be a wasteful consumer and traveling 16 hours each way for a 9-10 hour race seems a bit wasteful when there are other good alternatives so much closer. As a result, I'm officially taking the W101 off my schedule. I have another race the same weekend that is 45 minutes from my house on some kick ass trails so that turns out to be a pretty easy decision in the end. It is a bummer to skip that race though since it's my one chance to meet up with some of my blogging buddies. (Ick, I can't believe I just said that!) So, with having to keep things close to home this year it means that I'll be focusing more on xc type races instead of the enduro format like last year. I still have a 6 hr and 12 hr race on the schedule but that's about it.


The dollars are going to be tight this year as well. I suspect that once we start to build the new house things are going to get really tight money wise. I had very small plans for new purchases this year to begin with (1 new set of pedals, 1 handlebar for the dos and a set of tires) but I'll probably nix all but the tires since there is no way I'll get through the season on my worn Ignitors. I just hope nothing breaks!


Ok, enough bummer talk. The weekend is looking good, I'm going skiing for the first (and probably only) time this year on Sunday and now that Chance has healed from his ass surgery, we might try to sneak out for some dirt/snow time tomorrow while the wee one naps. If I do make it out tomorrow it'll be my first time out for a mountain bike ride in a couple of weeks. Where does the time go?

2 comments:

Jason said...

Dude, bitching is MY corner. Find yourself another one to work.

Seriously, the gas sitch is gonna f*ck a lot of folks this year. I estimated, that if I were to do the HC24 that I talked about on my blog earlier this week, I'd be looking at $120+ in gas money EASY. That BLOWS! BUT I/YOU will find races and adventures nearby that will light the fire under our scabby/chapped asses this seson fo'show.

I swear to God I was 1/2 scared that that pic of Chance was like your freaking balls or something. Thank God it's only Chance. ;)

Later.

bikemike said...

Going to be a crazy season for travel but I am not skipping the awesome EFTA races in northern New England.

It will be fun having larger local classes, something like old times.