Tuesday, February 27, 2007

No love

Yowser, what a kick in the nutsack today’s commute in was. Last week was the rest week between phases base 2 & 3 so I expected to come into today with happy legs just raring to go. Boy was I wrong. I had decided to give the trails a try this morning since the snowmobiles have had ample opportunity to pack things down so I mounted up the Dos and it was clear in the first 10 minutes of road slogging that it wasn’t going to be a good one. I couldn’t get my heart rate up easily and when I did, I couldn’t maintain it. I wanted to bail on riding the trails and just spin in on the road but the prospect of doing the entire thirteen miles on the fat 2.3’s seemed even worse than anything I would run into on the trails. A half hour in I hit the start of the Schmid Preserve trails and thankfully it had seen at least a few snowmobiles leaving a nice, packed and grippy surface. For a moment my mojo came back on the first quick downhill but quickly left me on the first climb. Of course, by then I was (in poker terms) pot committed so I soldiered on. After cresting the hill, I was once again feeling ok so I began to think about hitting up some of the single track sections. One little voice in my head urged me to stick to the well traveled snowmobile trails while another (somewhat less intelligent) voice argued that the single track has probably been used enough to make riding possible. Turns out I should have listened to the first voice because not only was the single track not ride able but it was pretty much un-walkable too because of the crusty snow. If it wasn’t for the toe spikes in my shoes I’d probably still be in the woods nursing a broken leg. Finally after about 20 minutes of hoofing it at an astounding 2-3mph I finally got back to the snowmobile trails (man how I love snowmobiles). From there it was a quick scoot out to the road and a few miles to the office. Stick a fork in me, I was done. I was so tired and defeated that I didn’t even have the energy to take a 30 second shower that the hot water at the office allows. Instead opting to simply wash up and throw on some deodorant. Funny, nobody seems to be sitting near me today.

1 comment:

Jason said...

dammmmn.

j