Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Season planning

Last night I was finally able to sit down and block out my training plan for the upcoming season. This is the first time that I have actually tried to plan a season with base, build and peak periods so its all a bit overwhelming for me right now but I'm sure I'm making much more out of it than need be. I've still got some races up in the air at this point but things are getting a bit clearer at least. Some of these include the Wilderness 101, Shenandoah 100 and the Vermont 50. Of course there will also be some Maine EFTA and NECS series races thrown in as well as schedule permits.

One thing that I'm really worried about is annual hours. For my race categoy and ambitions, Friel suggests an annual hour total of between 500 & 800 hours. Even at the low end of 500 hours spread out over the year that comes out to 10 hours a week. There is no freakin way in hell I can squeeze that kind of time in. Sure, some weeks I'm able to squeeze out 10-15 hrs but those are usually by luck and can't be counted on a regular basis. My guess is that a 400 hr schedule would more easily fit into my lifestyle so I've got some thinking to do. Whatever happens hours wise though, I'm sure just thinking about all of this now will help me focus to achieve my goals. For example, even though I was initially unmotivated to work out last night, the thought of getting in 12 hours this week motivated me to do a weight workout and to get up early this morning to fit in a jog and a Cyclo Core workout. Yay for me!

5 comments:

Andy, R&D said...

hey if W101 or S100 work into the schedule for enough local New Englanders maybe we should pile into a van for the drive?
Just a thought..and if anyone rider is hated by all the rest we leave him/her there!

rick is! said...

excellent idea. Of course we'll have to find a sucker with a van first... could be an excellent road trip.

Jason said...

1. I think we know which Maine based ride would be bumming a ride back from State College!

2.I've kinda learned to screw the season hours thing. I was real into it last year. I still keep track, but I sure's hell don't obsess like I did.

I have gotten better at focusing on QUALITY work outs. Focused trainer rides during the week and at least 1 longer ride on the weekend works best.

Hope to see some of you chowder heads down my way for the 100s. Wish I lived close so as to offer some free floor space. 2+ hours from State College though.

Later.

rick is! said...

1. potentially true except I'm one charming mother fucking pig.

2. I expect to throw the hours out the window as well and shoot for quality over quantity but I've got to have a goal or else I'll be nowhere.

Anonymous said...

more info on the Cyclo Core workout.