Thursday, September 21, 2006

Stuff

While cruising the cyclocross board over at RoadBikeReview.com yesterday I stumbled across an old teammate of mine from the very first mountain bike team I belonged to, Brown Dog Bikes. It was a small shop in Camden Maine that (at least in my first year or two) managed to put together one of the top teams in the state and each year was duking it out with a few others to win the overall team points at the end of the season. The last year I raced for BDB, Josh moved out to California to get a bit more serious about his snowboarding and bike racing so I haven’t seen or heard from him in years. Anyway, I happened to see a post by Josh on the cx board and it looks like he’ll be making the journey cross country to do 6 weeks of elite cyclocross racing on the east coast including the two Verge Series races here in Maine. We’ve made tentative plans to do some riding while he’s here. The internet truly is an amazing thing. You can check out his blog HERE.

On to other news, I’m a bit bummed. On my commute home yesterday, the rear shifter on my road steed stopped working consistently. I don’t know what is wrong with it but the paddle to shift to higher gears doesn’t seem to catch anymore and is all floppy like. Total bummer. Hopefully it can be fixed without replacing the whole thing but I’m not getting my hopes up. I guess I’ll be strictly on the van dessel and dos for a while.

Speaking of the dos, we’ve got a date tonight to pre-ride next Sunday’s race course. I haven’t ridden there in a couple of months so I hope to get over a couple of times before the race. With my fitness being as low as it is right now I’m really going to have to rely on having the course dialed because there are some really long, technical sections where you can make up serious time if you ride them smoothly. Two or three laps tonight and next week should help.

No comments: