Friday, May 18, 2012

Almost Race Time 

The first race in my MTB calendar is quickly approaching so I've been busy making final preps.  This race is generally super fun with tight, fast trails, lots of little technical sections, berms etc etc but if it's wet, all bets are off.  It's still fun but it is a total gear destroyer.  A few years back lots of folks found that out.  As a result, I've now prepped my single speed to be ready to race.  I haven't ridden this bike as a single (or any SS really) in well over a year so I'm taking a bit of a chance racing it on Sunday but I'd rather chance a lackluster race than chance doing hundreds of dollars of damage to my new bike.  That said, we've got three sunny and warm days before the race so things should be stellar but I know if I don't get the bike ready, I'll wish I had.

Step one: find box of ss shit and find enough spacers and gears to fill up the free hub.


I can't for the life of me remember what gearing I used to use so I threw
three cogs on so I can test them out tomorrow on my pre-ride.
 

Step two: I've grown very used to the W-I-D-E bars on the Kona so the skinnier
bars on the Salsa had to go.  In order to do that, I had to steal the bars from the Mukluk.
Sorry girl.


Skinnies be gone!

Poor, sad, decapitated Mukluk.
Don't worry, you'll ride again.

Tah dah!  Large and in charge. 
Now I just have to bring a hand saw with me for the pre-ride 
so I can chop down the one choker on course that these will
be too wide for.


Finished.  Now it's time to clean the basement from the looks of it.
Tool and shit EVERYWHERE!

No comments: