Friday, March 18, 2011

First 50

Yesterday I bagged my 50 mile road ride of the season.  Actually, to be more precise, it was my first 50 mile DAY of the season since I got a little cold and tired on the real road ride so had to include the day's commute to rack up the full 50.  Whose splitting hairs here?  Not me, so I'll take it.  It was a beautiful day with the sun shining and the temps in the mid 40's...at the ride's start.  I enjoyed the sun for the first hour or so but then it started to go down, the temps dropped and I realized I was a bit over my head for my planned 50 mile route.  Thankfully, I now have a decent phone with gps so I was able to devise a shorter but still kick ass route mid ride.

It took me past some maple syrup making venturs:

and about the only road in the area that would qualify for one of Jason's rides:
I usually shy away from such roads but this cut out the far point on the ride as well as the second biggest climb.  Could I have used the climb and the distance?  Sure, but it is still march and I had beer and a guiness/beef/cabage/carrot concoction made my Marcy waiting for me at home.  More hills and bonk-dom or beer and comfort food?  Sometimes you need to make the tough decisions...

planned route in red.  actual route in yellow.

1 comment:

Jason said...

All the cool kids are riding sloppy dirt roads.