Thursday, May 27, 2010



Trailwork Doesn't Pay

For the past couple of weeks on monring's that I'd typically go out for a 1/2 hour trail run before work, I've instead headed out to do a bit of trail work. I'm trying to finish up the loop trail around our property. The trail that will eventually be the jumping off point for other trails. It's been a pain because a couple of the areas that I've had to pass through are literally filled with saplings and small trees making it a pain in the ass to clear. This morning I started by doing a bit of raking to expose the little punji sticks left over from my initial chain saw clearing and then followed that by cutting the punji's with a hand saw.

After cutting a stump, the saw slipped and nicked my knee. Other than a hole in my hiking/running pants, no big deal right? Wrong. That little frickin cut just wouldn't stop bleeding. After unsucessfully trying to get the bleeding to stop I bailed on the trail work and headed home.

Just home. Not too bad.

Then I cleaned it up, put some antibiotic ointment on it and a bandaid. Success!

Uh, no.

So I pulled off the initial, bloody, gorey bandaid, cleaned it up and attached a big boy bandage.


Success!

Uh, no.

The final solution (at least I hope this is the final solution) was to put a bandaid on first and then cover it with a larger bandage. So far so good.




Be careful out there kids!

2 comments:

Hill Junkie said...

Maybe you'll have to try cyanoacrylate (Super Glue) next time. Apparently it was used in the Vietnam war to control bleeding of wounded soldiers.

rick is! said...

I've always thought about that for a clean cut but it's hard to imagine using super glue for such a raged gash.