Monday, January 12, 2009

Snowy Ride

To me, there is nothing like a ride in freshly fallen snow. Preferrably a nice dry powder. On Sunday, we got just such a snowfall on Saturday night/Sunday morning. We tried to do some work on the house on Sunday but when that proved somewhat fruitless I opted to take advantage of my newfound free time. Usually I'd be heading for the local snowmobile trails for a day like this but, unfortunately, where we're living now there aren't any nearby so I hit the back roads instead. Not quite the same but fun none-the-less.

If you listen closely at :14 in this one you'll here me do a "whoaaaaaaaaa" as I almost at shit. I swear, taking video while riding will be the death of me.

One thing that I'm definitely realizing about where we're currently living is that even though there aren't any huge hills in the area, there are scads of short but STEEP hills. Enough that right now, a 1:20 minute ride just about has me stroking out and begging for it to stop. If it wasn't for my pride (vanity) my single speeding ass would be walking some of those suckers. There is something about grinding up a hill at 20 rpm's that really makes you rethink your choice in hobbies. I'm thinking that my new hobby should be re-building knees because with climbs like this I'll be needing a couple stat.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

darwin, survival of the fittest/ smartest. the smart one will stop with the video, the not smart one will continue to video until its death.
you're a cool guy it would be nice if you could stick around for a while longer.

rick is! said...

ah man, you're making me blush... I think I'm somewhere mid-ground. I won't go til I kill myself but maybe hurt a weensie bit.

rick is! said...

when's the website going to be updated anyway? Is it in the works?

Wheels said...

Can you say helmet cam? I'm thinking it's about time I start making use of the snowmobile trails around here. Any pointers? Are studded tires a must? Which bike is better to ride: CX, MTB, or SS MTB?

rick is! said...

studded tires aren't usually necessary unless you expect lots of ice. more important is good, wide tires. If you can get a 2.4 (or even bigger) with low air pressure you'd be in good shape. float is the key. I like single speed in the snow because there is less to go wrong but geared is probably better because you need a lot of finess when things are sloppy and having a gear range can be key when you need to tip-toe in the mush.

micro1985 said...

I arrived by a search.Please watch my blog.

http://bicycle-hillclimb-machine.blogspot.com/

I am glad if connected at this opportunity.In addition, I come to look.
thankyou