Friday, September 26, 2008

Spreading the love

There are few things more important than spreading the love of cycling to upcoming generations. With gas prices what they are, the nations' obesity rate and people's general lazinicity I feel it's our job as cyclists to trick, ummm, I mean teach kids that cycling is a viable form of transportation. With that in mind (not really, I mostly wanted to get a ride in) Marcy commuted to work on Wednesday by bike and then, after work, we both met via bike at B's school to pick her up for a nice ride home. B was brimming with pride and excitement as the other kids watched enviously while B got situated in her trailer. One of B's friends said that she wanted one of those (the trailer, not an incredibly handsome dad) so, of course, the next day when I saw her father I planted the seed with him and he seemed receptive. We'll see how it goes.




I finally seem to be healed up from this weekend's 12 hr race. I don't think that I could lay down a serious attack right now but at least I'm not hobbling around like some diaper wearing old fart any more. The lack of actual riding recently has left me pining over next year's possible rigs. After winning a sweet Carver frame this weekend my initial plan was to trade the frame for an equally sweet Carver snow bike frame so I could build up a proper snow bike for winter riding. Since I didn't plan on buying a new race bike next season (more on that later) it seemed like a good idea but now, after seeing Salsa's new single speed, the Selma, my gears are turning a totally new direction.

Oooohhh Selma, how I lust for thee!

You see, with how much fun I've had racing the El Mariachi in the last two races, I've pretty much decided to race a single speed all next season. The Mariachi worked so well that my only planned change was to get a suspension fork for it. The rigid fork on it is nice and all but I think that I can be competitive against geared bikes if I have front suspension. Without it I'm toast given my experience a few weeks ago at Rangeley. So anyway, when my lustfull eyes spied the Selma my plans (hopes) immediately changed. My new plan is to keep the El but put the fenders on permanently for use as a commuter/rain bike and get a Selma for a kick ass race bike for next season. My time will be sparse again next year since our house still won't be done so having a super simple single speed (ssss) that needs no work will be key since wrench time will be in short supply.

This leaves the Carver frame and what I should do with it. I'd hate to simply sell it or send it back to the shop for a credit because it would build up to a sweet ride but building up yet another bike is simply out of the question right now. What to do, what to do...
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Jason said...

Oh yeah, bike lust. That selma would be hella light too.

rick is! said...

I've got full on bike lust going on. I've already got a name for my lovely selma.