Friday, June 06, 2008

musings


It's been almost a week since the 6hr race at Pat's Peak and I've had plenty of time to go over in my head how things could have gone better. Initially (immediately after the race at least), I thought that I hadn't consumed enough calories during the race to do well but after a bit of research it looks like I was pretty close to what is suggested calorie-wise. Maybe I was a bit short but not enough for my monumental bonk. That leaves me with two not-so-suprising reasons that I suffered towards the end. Reason number one, I haven't had any long rides yet this year. If you haven't been getting in any long rides you can't expect to feel too great at the end of a 6 hr race. Reason number two, I haven't had the opportunity to ride hills much this year. Time has been tight and I don't have a lot of good hills around these parts. When I worked in Camden I got as much hill work as I could stand. Not so much in Damariscotta. How am I going to fix this? It should be pretty simple really, I just need to start hitting up the Wednesday night road ride in Camden. If I ride to the ride, do the ride and then ride back I'll be getting a 4-6 hr ride in and get some major climbing in at the same time. Time to get planning...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Big hours for a mid week ride

rick is! said...

yeah, but it's actually easier for me to get a big ride in mid week than on the weekend.