Tuesday, April 29, 2008

my world is crumbling

not my world exactly but my bikes for sure. When you combine a bitchy work schedule, prepping a house for sale, designing a new house, family time and trying to squeeze in bit of riding the first thing that is going to suffer (besides sleep) is the welfare of your bikes. My bikes are quickly going down the crapper.

Here was the rundown as of Saturday:
El Mariachi - busted up eccentric bb. looks like she's bikeman bound
Dos Niner - no real problems if you ignore the fact that it doesn't have wheels, handlebars, needs new cables/housing and a whole lot of tlc
Trek 2300 - until Saturday it was fine, right up until I was begining my monthly testing to gauge fitness at which point the shifting went kabloie. Throw that test in the freakin trash since it's pretty hard to go all-out when you're waiting for the next miss-shift.

Three bikes in the quiver, three bikes down. There was only one option for me at that point. That, of course, was to buy a new bike. I pondered that and the ensuing kick to the junk wifey would give me and decided it might be best to work on the bikes I already have. After 40 minutes of unsuccessfully frigging with the Trek on Saturday night I decided to step away and hope for better luck Sunday morning. Good move on my part because I had it up and running in less than 5 minutes Sunday morning. Weird. Over the weekend I also got working on the Dos finally getting the "new" (old bars from my Fuel) handlebars and Ergon grips mounted on the bike. Baby steps, baby steps. Hopefully I'll have her up and running for a southern maine single track expedition this weekend.

3 comments:

Wheels said...

For Sunday I'm thinking SIP crit/Bradbury trail work/mtb ride for kicks and giggles. You in?

rick is! said...

ooooohhhh, so close. I'm doing SIP Crit and then mtb in the portland area. my bro is coming up to ride and I don't want to ask him to go all the way up there. just skip the trail day and ride with us!

Wheels said...

Tempting, but I must take advantage of the opportunity to "give back." I'll see you @ the crit. Let's put the hurt on the roadies!