Wednesday, March 19, 2008

who knew or how the weather man screwed me

Who knew that you need to warm up well before starting a serious interval session? I've only been racing for 5-6 years so you'd think that I would know that I need more than a 15 minute warmup the day after a hard time trial effort before starting a series of 9 intervals ranging from 1-3 minutes in lenght. Well, guess what, I didn't know any better yesterday. I launched into my intervals and wondered why my legs felt like lead pipes. I was even dumb enough to actually think that I might already be overtrained. What an idiot. After I thought about it for a few minutes I realized that I simply wasn't warmed up properly so I dialed it back for a bit and then hit it big time. It ended up being a great workout and I ended up barely being able to finish the last interval. Totally toast. Good times.

My only real problem on the ride was that before heading out for my morning commute yesterday I had thrown my leg warmers into my pack for the ride home (and intervals) but at the last second took them out since the weather dude said that the temps wouldn't get above 37 all day and it was likely to be close to freezing by quitting time. Wouldn't you know it, when I left the office it was 49 degrees. 49 frickin degrees. Normally I would be psyched to have those temps but when you have heavy gloves and most importantly, heavy tights on with a scheduled interval session those warmer temps are death. I was a messy sweaty pig when I got home. Stupid weather people suck. I can't wait til summer when you can wear the same thing every day and not think about it. Good times.

2 comments:

Wheels said...

Oh man do I hear ya! I need summer bad! If you rode outside today you are a stud. I can't think of any worse conditions than freezing rain.

Jason said...

Agreed. Weather peeps suck. Weather sucks. Soon enough we all will be bitching about the heat. I CAN'T WAIT!