Monday, March 24, 2008

sunday, sunday, sunday!

Home today watching the spud. Another mystery fever. So I'm "working" from home today as much as possible and getting some quality time in with the fruit of my loins.

Anyway, yesterday I was blessed (thanks Marcy!) with a few hour window to get in a hilly road ride. I headed out just after lunch and was greeted with 35 degree temps (not bad this time of year), sunny skies and 30 mph gusts. Very enjoyable conditions when the wind was quiet. I proceeded to head towards the best hills we have in the area. They're not exactly nut busters but they'll do.

About 2 hrs into the ride I started to feel a bit peakid. Not a full on bonk but energy reserves were getting low so I headed to the nearest store (down a mile long hill) and nearly wept in despair when I discovered that they closed early because it was Easter. I would have given anything for a Coke. So I was looking at another 1.5-ish hours with nothing but water (I finished my perpetuem and clif bar earlier). I managed to slog my way back home but that last 20 miles really sucked the average speed of my ride down from a respectible 18 mph to a somewhat dismal 16 mph. If I had known the store would be closed I would have carried more with me. Oh well, live and learn I guess. It was still nice to get 3:35 in the books to finish off the week with a touch over 9 hours and some tired, worked over legs.

Rolling with the full-on Bikeman whore kit. Right down to the bikeman underoos.


I call this one "Bike geek and silos".
Windswept tundra. Immediately after taking this pic I had to hold on for dear life as a huge wind hit me from the side.






Speaking of underoos, I had a coworker buzz me at work on Friday to help the peeps downstairs settle an argument. They were trying to decide if I rode commando under my spandex! Thankfully, I'm a pretty open guy and will talk about ANYTHING so I wasn't too disturbed about the question and at least two of the people debating were women so it wasn't all bad.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Wheels said...

OK. Its official. I'm a cold weather pussy! I rode indoors all weekend because I thought temps in the 30's were too cold. You don't even have your ears covered! On the plus side, I am racing pro on the indoor roller circuit this season and training is going well, which is nice.

rick is! said...

above 35 and sunny usually means no balaclava for me. I've ridden in this crap so much that mid-thirties feel like a dream.

Unknown said...

I didn't realize you were supposed to wear anything under spandex;)

Jason said...

I wear a girdle under mine. You can never look too thin. Or maybe that would be too gay? I get all uncomfortable at the thought of gutchies under spandex. Yikes!