Monday, April 30, 2007

El




As I mentioned last week, I picked up the El Mariachi. Of course, the trails are a water logged mess so it'll be a while before it sees any trail time. Thankfully, since its also going to be my commuter, I had picked up some Schwalbe Big Apples when I bought it so this weekend I mounted those fatties up so see how she rolled. I bought the El as a complete build and its almost identical in spec to how I spec'd out the Dos. Weird but handy if I ever need to swap parts plus if I buy extras for a bike, they'll work on the other as well.

First impression, the El fits me perfectly and feels well balanced. Its a bit portly compared to the Dos Niner but that is to be expected with a steel frame and ebb. Of course once the gears and other crap are pulled off it will lighten it up significantly.

The bike came with Ignitors which I love (and will use on the Dos) but for now the El will be rolling with the Apples and eventually, if the trails ever dry out, I'll mount up the Panaracer Rampages. The Big Apple tires are freakin huge! They are labeled as 2.35's and I'd guess they are all of that, talk about volume. One the winter worn roads around here the combination of 29'er wheels and big ole slick fatties did the trick to smooth things out. I could plow through just about any rutted section and not worry. These same sections on my road steed would have been downright terrifying. Suprisingly, despite the extra weight that the Big Apples carry, the bike seemed very efficient on the road. Usually I like riding my mountain bikes on the road about as much as I enjoy watching Dr. Phil but this combo seems really smooth, efficient and fun. You won't find me taking this to any agressive group road rides but it'll be perfect for winter commuting and urban type rides.


More info to come as I get more time on her. For now, I've got a big stupid grin on my face.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: