Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Another wet diaper

Man am I getting sick of these wet and/or dirty commutes! As usual (recently at least) this morning's commute was nasty as hell. When I got up this morning the weather channel was saying it was cloudy in our area but no precip. I glanced outside to be sure and the pavement looked wet but I couldn't see any actual rain coming down so I started to get ready. The temp was hovering between 35 and 40 which is always a hard temp for me. Do I wear my leg warmers and run the risk of being cold or do I put on the insulated tights and run the risk of overheating. Initially I decided on the leg warmers this morning but at the last minute changed my mind and put on the tights. Man was I glad I did because I was greated with a nice, wet, slushy, drizzly commute. Yip-frikin-eee. Within 10 minutes of starting out, I had so much slush thrown up on my ass that I thought I was going to get frost bite. It reminded me of a story my brother told me about when he ran cross country in college and a teamate got slush in his shorts during a race and ended up getting a bit-o-frost-nip on his junk. Thankfully, I wasn't in that boat but the cheeks were definitely cold.

By the time I rolled into the office my bike and I were so wet and covered with road grit that I felt like I was wearing a loaded diaper. Most uncomfortable. My bike so so nasty that I actually took it into the building and rinsed it off in the shower so that it wouldn't have the grit and salt on it all day eating away at it. Hope the boss doesn't find out!

As we speak, I have a chamois air freshener in my space. Needing to dry my shorts before this afternoon's ride home, I set them and my tights and socks up in front of a portable heater with a fan so I'm sure the whole design space here smells like damp ass. Nice.

As much as I love winter and riding in the winter, I really can't wait for the change to happen so that I don't have to deal with this crap much longer. Be cold or be warm, none of the inbetween nonsense.

3 comments:

Jason said...

That cubical must be STANK! Your co-workers must love you.

rick is! said...

Turns out its not that bad, apparently my dangle smells like roses.

Jason said...

dangle. great image. thanks.