Thursday, August 31, 2006

Time to breath

Phew, coming up for a breath of fresh air before diving back into the fray. Its been one serious ass kicking at work and home recently. I have about a bazillion projects behind schedule at work that have been working me over plus B-Girl’s one year b-day party this Saturday which we’ve been frantically trying to get the house ready for in the evenings. All of this has lead to little posting and even less riding.

Here is a quick rundown of the last weeks riding activities:

Saturday I finally watched “Off Road to Athens”. It’s pretty lame that it took me this long to see it but it was a cool video and it really makes you realize that the selection process for the Olympics is retarded. Nothing like burning everyone out just trying to get to the big O.

Sunday I lead the slow ass group ride for the local bike group. 1 ¼ hours with an average speed of less than 11 mph. Ouch! I really wish I had had B in the trailer with me so that at least I’d have a reason to go that slow plus the extra resistance would have been nice. It was a nice day though and I was able to work in some hard efforts on the way over and back from the rally point so it wasn’t a complete waste. It was interesting to do the warm up and cool down in the middle of the ride with the intense efforts crammed into the beginning and end of the ride. Gotta shake things up right?

Monday was spent at home while a couple of electricians spent Brynna’s college fund. Two guys x 8 hours each + materials = one huge bill. At least the house isn’t likely to burn down now and we have functioning lights and outlets in the living room again.

Monday I also got the XO derailleur put back together and will get in back on the Dos in the next day or so. I’ve decided to sell the X-9 to the bro to free up some cash. I had initially planned to save it for a spare but fund necessitate a different approach right now.

Wednesday was my first ride day since Sunday and I tried to make the best of it by getting up at 4 and taking the Dos for a long, meandering commute to work taking in all of the trails on the way. It was good fun but my night riding eyes are quite functioning yet so I ended up riding pretty damn slow on the trails but I’m sure the night time skills will come back to me quickly enough. After work, I took a more direct route home only hitting the Schmid Preserve. Soon after leaving the office, I realized I had forgotten my pump so was hoping to not have a flat. Sure enough, about ½ mile from the house I got a puncture and ended up jogging the final 15 minutes down my road. I must have been quite the sight running in full kit with my bike by my side. What a dork.

Ok, that’s about it. Time to dive back in.

No comments: