Tuesday, August 08, 2006

A bit behind

Sorry for the lack of posts recently. Marcy and Brynna have been sick (Marcy especially recently) so with work, taking care of both of them and trying to squeeze in a quick ride here and there, there has been precious little time for riding. This past weekend though, I did get out for one ride. As I mentioned ages ago, there is a new bike group that was started over the winter in my town. Its geared more towards recreational and geriatric types so I hadn’t ridden with them yet but had thought it would be the perfect place to go when I have Brynna in her trailer. Well Sunday morning I decided to take B for a ride while Marcy tryed to get some sleep to beat her illness. As I was in the garage getting B into her trailer I noticed the Sunday morning organized ride cruise past my house so I quickly finished up the prep work and hit the road in an attempt to catch them. I managed to catch the stragglers of the group after a few miles and then put my head down and pushed it to catch the leader. This can be tough with a trailer with a touchy baby inside though because I was unable to stand on any of the climbs because it rocks the trailer too much for her right now so I was forced to sit and grind. For a double ring set-up this isn’t always ideal on a normal ride but throw in a 20+ lb baby and a 10+ lb trailer and you’ve got the making for some nice tough climbs. Once with the group it was easy though since the pace rarely went over 15mph. An hour into the ride I decided it was time to head back since Brynna would likely wake up soon and be royaly pissed. For some reason if she starts the ride awake and stays awake she is fine but if she falls asleep and then wakes up mid ride she freaks out. I’m not sure of the reason, maybe it scares her, but I decided to try to get back before she managed to wake up. Unfortunately about 2 miles from the house, the demon awoke and screamed to high heaven until we got back. Thank god I turned around when I did, that would have been quite nerve wracking had I listened to it much longer.

I also stole away for a bit last night after putting B and Marcy to bed to get an hour of night ride in on the dos. I hit up some trail where it is frowned upon to ride in so I always wait until all mud is gone and go at night so that I don’t piss anyone off. Unfortunately though, it appears that no-one has been using the trail because it was getting extremely overgrown in areas and extremely un-fun in sections. It would probably do the trail a world of good if they publicly allowed bikes to use it after mudseason to keep it packed down and weed free. Maybe some day.

No comments: