Tuesday, May 02, 2006

One more commute in the books

Well, one more day of commuting in the books for me. The ride home was good once again, hitting all of the trails yada yada. You’ve heard all of this before so I won’t repeat it. The ride in, on the other hand, was anything but typical. The idiot box has been calling for rain the remainder of the week so I had initially planned on just taking it easy for the rest of the week, maybe do a couple of trainer sessions but nothing fancy. Overnight though, I decided that when I got up this morning at 5 if it wasn’t raining buckets I would ride the bike in anyway. Well, when I got up it wasn’t quite raining buckets but it definitely was raining steadily. Thankfully, I already had it in my head that I was riding so I wasn’t going to let a bit o’ rain and 45 deg. temps stop me. Surprisingly, it was easy to get myself out the door and once I got rolling it turned into a pretty nice ride. It was hard to see and my lower body was soaked through but the rain cape kept me dry and warm so all was well. The Van Dessel was the ride choice for the day for a couple of reasons. One reason was that since it’s a single speed there is less maintenance involved after a rainy ride but the main reason was that I had forgotten my front road wheel in the toaster back at the office. Doh! It turned out to be a good oversight on my part though because the Bob was up to the task and it kept the shiny road steed clean for another day. I figure rides like today put some serious funds in the bank that I hope to withdraw during race season, there is nothing like fighting through tough conditions to get those miles in. Plus, I sort of like the looks on people's faces when they see the idiot riding his bicycle in the rain.

In other news, I’m finally seeing the weight slowly start to come off. I’m hovering around 5-7 lbs higher than I want to be by race season right now but with slightly more riding and much better eating I’m finally seeing the pounds come off and with another three weeks before the first race, I stand a chance of hitting the goal. This time last year I had no trouble dropping the winter weight but this year has been tough. I guess having a baby will do that to you. Of course I didn’t have the baby, Marcy did, but you know what I mean. Soon enough this guy will really know what I mean.

No comments: