Monday, May 01, 2006

Another weekend

Another weekend has passed and what a weekend it was!  With sunny skies and temps in the 60’s it was the perfect setting for a great ride.  Unfortunately I was unable to get out on Saturday but we did get together with some old college friends for a little sushi action as well as a stroll along the Portland waterfront.  The city actually has a pretty nice path running for a few miles along the river.  It’s a little too crowded and short for a real ride but Marcy and I are thinking that it might be the perfect place to take Brynna in her first trailer ride since its nice and smooth and there will be plenty for her to see.  Hopefully she’ll be ready for some mellow road rides in a month or so, we’ll see.

Sunday turned out to be even nicer weather wise than Saturday.  We woke to 45 deg and sunny weather that quickly climbed into the mid 60’s.  My plan for the day was to mow the lawn in the early am and then wait for my buddies to call and say that they were ready to head to Bradbury State Park.  Plans changed quickly though because when I got the mower out to the front yard, I noticed our mailbox laying against the neighbors fence.  I thought wtf??? and immediately assumed that some jackass was playing mailbox baseball but upon further investigation found that wasn’t the case. It seems that a (presumeably) drunk driver swerved off the road Saturday night and took out my mailbox and as well as a street sign.  Thankfully the post and bracket are made of heavy gauge aluminum because despite finding pieces of it as far away as 300 ft (into the neighbor’s yard) I was able to put it back together again.  A little worse for wear but ready to take whatever this winters snow plows can dish out!  The driver also managed to shear off a street sign and flung that sucker a few hundred feet as well.  The f’er must have been drunk because any sane person would stop and call the cops after something like that happened.  I can only imagine what their car looked like afterwards.  I sincerely hope that it was completely f’ed up, rat bastard.  The good news in all of this is that the cop that I talked to said that they’ve gotten money to buy an undercover car for nabbing drunks and speeders on our road.  There are only two roads leading down onto the peninsula and even though we live in a very residential area, people fly down our road.  Hopefully with a little more presence from the fuzz they’ll be forced to slow down.

Anyway, after dealing with the mailbox, I scooted down to Bradbury where I met up with Kevin and Casey.  We hit up some of the best trails on the non-mountain side of the road.  The park has been doing a damn good job of adding sweet single track on this side of the road, basically adding a few more miles or trail each year.  For this year’s race in July, they have changed the format of the race from being multiple laps to being one 30 mile loop for expert and sport riders.  I’m so excited about this change that I can barely contain myself.  I typically do best in the longer races so this should suit me perfectly.  Anyway, the trails were freakin beautiful.  The trail ranges from super buff swoopy single track in the hardwoods to tight, twisty, turny stuff to lumpy/rocky areas but the beautiful thing is that they are all in separate sections so the riding experience changes every 10-15 mins.  To top it off, the mountain side of the road is completely different again.  That side is filled with steep climbs/descents, rock outcroppings, you name it, its got it.  Super fun.

3 comments:

Jason said...

Mailbox bad.
Ride good.

jeff said...

dude, i'm bumming that bradbury overlaps with 2 other pimpin' endurance events (jay 60, wilderness 101)! why'd they change the date!? oh well, hopefully it'll fit into the schedule next yr - as bradbury will be the best efta of the season...

rick is! said...

I hear ya, I had planned to do the Jay Challenge this year but I just can't pass up Bradbury.