Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Must get more rides!

With the new arrival of baby nelson any day now, I've been trying to squeeze in as many rides as possible since they will be few and far between once Brynna shows up. This weekend I went on two nice mountain bike rides for a total of almost 5 hours. Saturday morning was spent riding with the pooch on the trails around the house. We started from a differnts spot so that the knuckelhead wouldn't spend the whole time in the beaver pond. It cuts out the best part of the single track but it was a nice change to have him stay with me the whole ride. We got in 2:15 of nice easy riding but mr. pants was dead tired. I don't think that he had stayed with me on a run in over two months so this was probably the first time that he ran continuously for more than an hour since then. Good boy.











Sunday I met up with Kevin, Bill, Casey and Scott at Bradbury State Park. I haven't been down there since the race this spring and apparently they have been hard at work. There was a new section of single track that was about 2 miles long and perfect for my chosen steed for the day, the single speed. With no real climbs but lots of spongy new trail the 32x18 was the perfect ratio. It was one of those days that you find yourself with a big goofy grin on your face because the riding is so sweet and the trail has such great flow. I know that the park is planning to keep adding new trails like these and have plans to expand far enough to connect to the Pineland Center over the next 5 or so years. I would guess that they have a solid 10-15 miles of trials now and by then it will most likely be closer to 30-50 miles. We may finally have a mountain biking mecca in our back yards.

I've got my next race this Sunday. I'm not sure if I'll be able to attend. Definitely not if Brynna shows up between now and then. I'm currently in the series points lead by a very slim margin over Al. I believe that if I finish in second or better in either of the last two races that I'll wrap it up. If I'm able to do both I should also be able to make a run for the master of mud award as well. The awaring of the master of mud is a bit more subjective but it would be nice to finish my serious racing (for a few years at least) with the distinction.

No comments: