Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Just What the Doctor Ordered

After my less than stellar showing at the Horror (how is is that I was only 3 spots back overall from my last race but I feel shitty when I was stoked about the last race? stupid competitiveness) and my lack of power I decided the best thing I could do would be to hit up the Tuesday Brunswick ride and get two hours of power work in.  Mission accomplished.  KillBill (damn him) and I made our pre-ride over just in time to catch a good size group rolling out.  We had both decided to take it easy for the first half of the ride.  Me?  I was licking my ego wounds from Sunday while KillBill was licking his actual puncture wounds from Sunday so taking it easy seemed like a good idea.  But, of course, group rides are where good ideas go to die.  First, KillBill took a couple of massive pulls at the front then I took a couple of not quite so massive pulls at 32 mph and BAM!  I was hurtin.  I was smart enough to take it easy on the hills though.  For once I hit the hills slow and finished strong as opposed to my typical hill approach of going ballz out and then dieing a thousand deaths trying to finish first at the top.  This would pay dividends towards the end of the ride when I (for once) wouldn't get shelled out the back.  Meanwhile, KillBill was also having a good day and managed to snag the final sprint at over 40 mph (I barely held onto the 37mph lead out).  All in all, a good day.

Oh yeah, I don't think I've mentioned it but when the registration opened for the VT50, I tried to register just for a lark knowing full well that most seasons the 650 spots fill up within hours.  I signed in to register a bit late but was amazed to actually get a spot so I guess this is the year.  I'll finally be doing the 50.  It's a race that I've always wanted to do but never thought of registering in time.  I guess I need to thank fomer teammate Andrew Freye and his well timed e-mail for prompting me to give resistration a try.  Now, if I can just figure out how to race fast for more than 1:15.  Hmmm, this may be tough.

No comments: