Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Orange movement


What happens when you have two bowls of squash soup for first breakfast (we had lots of leftovers and I didn't want it to go to waste) followed by a bagel with cream cheese and salmon (not lox, that's gross) and then a salmon steak for lunch (our salmon tends to be a bit more orange than pink)? You have an orange movement, that's what. At least that's what I'm guessing because I'd never look when I'm finished. Nope, not me. Never.


ThomP (see pic above) has totally got me thinking about getting the DT Swiss RWS quick release.



Last year I had a bit of trouble with quick releases loosening up on my El Mariachi unless I torqued them so hard I thought I'd break something (my fingers trying to release them). Anyway, the RWS essentially lets you tighten it by spinning the lever thus allowing the application of plenty of torque. This allows both a more secure connection PLUS (at least it is said) a noticeably stiffer assembly. Hmm, sounds pretty good. My only question is, how long does it take to loosen and secure the RWS in comparison to a typical quick release. If anybody knows, please let me know.

6 comments:

Jason said...

I really wanted orange shit. I got orange soup. Boooo.

rick is! said...

so sorry. next time I'll try to take a camera in with me...

Big Bikes said...

The time difference between opening a QR and the RWS is nominal. Couple turns and you're done.

Do it!

rick is! said...

thanks Thom. I've decided to try it on the front first since you always have to wind that off anyway when you do a tire change and see how I like it before moving to the rear as well.

Laps said...

I have some on front and rear. The more you use them, the faster they open. They definitely take some getting used to, though.

rick is! said...

thanks, good to know. do you use them for any xc style racing?