Monday, December 08, 2008

I Give Up

Ok, that's it. I give up, no more riding for me. It seems that no matter what I do recently that something will come up and thwart my efforts to ride my bike. Take Saturday for example. I was to go to my parents in the afternoon to build walls for the house so my plan was to ride there, a solid 3 1/2-4 hour ride. (Lets forget for a moment how stupid it would be to do a ride of that duration when you've ridden a grand total of 4 hours in the last two months.) I felt less guilty/anxious about not riding during the week because I knew I had that kick ass ride to look forward to. Well, when the day came, I woke up feeling like shit but didn't want that to stop me so I slowly got ready, put my 18 layers of clothes on (it was hovering just below freezing) and headed outside. Once outside I realized how shitty I really felt and promptly turned around and changed again knowing that if I did ride I'd probably regret it. Sunday was out for sure for riding because of house stuff that was planned so I'm adding one more week to the NO RIDE board.

As a result of this no ride nonsense, while on my morning walk/jog with the pooch I decided to make the most out of that effort and start to push the duration and pace a bit more. I have to get the dog out anyway so I might as well add 10-15 minutes to the deal and get a better workout for myself. Chance won't mind either I'm sure. I won't be trading my riding shoes for running shoes anytime soon but I REALLY need to get some freaking exercise. Thankfully for me, I'm naturally a fairly slim guy so I haven't developed a gut or man breasts yet but my fitness is certainly in the crapper.

Once we finally move from my office apartment to the winter caretaking gig things will certainly get better since I'll be able to commute the 5 miles at least a few times a week and after what I've had for riding recently, I'll take it.

I realized this weekend that in all of the house/work related nonsense recently that I failed to get my Ergon proposal in. Thankfully I still have 4 days to do so and still have a chance for 2009. So Jeff, if you're reading, the app. is in the mail! :)

3 comments:

Groover said...

Sorry to hear. I guess it will get worse before it will get better with Christmas coming up and everything but I hope you'll get some quality rides in again soon. You must be driving your wife up the walls. I know how grumpy I get without my exercise. :-)

rick is! said...

not annoying her any more than usual. I get mopey without exercise but not usually grumpy. of course, i've been getting lots of exercise but in the form of lifting lumber, swinging a hammer etc.

Jason said...

I was just swinging my hammer last night. But again, I've said too much.