Sunday, October 19, 2008

What did you do this weekend?




While others were sleeping in, sipping coffee and enjoying the crisp fall weather, this dumbass was getting up early, braving the sub-freezing temps, mounting up the road steed and riding to my parents place to try and get a jump start on the framing of our house. It was cold when I left (28 degrees) and I kind of wanted to bag the ride but I haven't touched a bike since last weekend's 10hrs in Camden so I wasn't going to miss a ride no matter what. It was a nice ride and I just rode a chill pace and enjoyed being on two wheels again. The leaves were nice too...




The recipe for a perfect Maine shotgun wedding.


A little over three hours after leaving, Marcy and B caught me in and car so we could make quicker time and get to framing. The foundation is going in this week (hopefully!) but we're working on framing the walls at Rancho de Nelson so that when the foundation is ready, we'll have a bunch of walls to put up. My father and I worked with two of his friends for about 5 hours on Saturday and got four walls framed and ready to head to Edgecomb.


Pa Nelson and one of the walls





Sunday, I was to head from Marcy's mom's place to the property to meet Marcy's dad to finish the prep for the foundation. On my ride down I spotted movement on the side of the road, pulled over and snapped this pic.





After playing stare down for a minute I decided to try riding along with the moose while taking a video. I'm full of good ideas.







After stopping the video (because I felt too vulnerable holding on with just one hand (which also held two winter gloves) , I put the camera away and rode up close to the knock kneed beast getting within 5-6 feet of it's ass. If I wanted to, I could have ridden up and slapped it's ass but thought better of it not wanting an 800lb hoof up my ass.


After the moose encounter, the rest of the ride was pretty subdued. I finished up in 2:20, changed in our ghetto site trailer and went about prepping our foundation hole with Marcy's dad (easy there big fella) and threw in some solid chain-sawing for good measure.


So, there you have it, I rode 5 1/2 hours, framed four walls, chased a moose and worked on our new property. Sooooo, what did you do suckah?


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That would be a little bit easier to hit with a rock. LUCKY!!! I have always wanted to see and get close to one!!!! Wow! You're brave. :)

rick is! said...

trust me, I studied him for a couple of minutes before approaching. he (or she) just lazily ran away from me.

Groover said...

That's so funny. I'll try and get a kangaroo on camera next. Great job making this little film. That's one productive weekend. Mine wasn't quite as busy.

Unknown said...

Why you breathing so hard if the moose wasn't moving around? Did you check the chamois for any stains after the ride?

rick is! said...

good question. when I watched the video I wondered myself why I was breathing so hard. I certainly wasn't working hard. Maybe I'm just a creep who likes to breath hard on videos...