Thursday, October 23, 2008

It's dream time!


With my current schedule, ride time has been prescious and minimal. As a matter of fact, other than some sweet weekend rides, riding time has been near zero. I am now, officially, a weekend warrior. SHUDDER! I haven't considered myself a weekend warrior since my first year riding and to be honest, I never expected to be that again. That being said, I'll take being a weekend warrior anyday over not riding at all.


The good thing about not riding much (there is a good thing?) is that I have time to day dream about riding more. As a result, I've been thinking a bit about what bike I want for next year. My Salsa El Mariachi would definitely make a good race bike, especially if I get a Reba fork to soften things up front a bit. Of course, there's also the super sweet new Salsa Selma which I've got a serious mean-on for.



With those two bikes rattling around in my noggin recently, I caught a glimpse of the Carver frame I won last month. My initial hope was to trade it towards a Carver snow bike but when I e-mailed Davis the other day Taber (bikeman.com/carver employee/bike whore) e-mailed me back (davis is at a bike show) and told me that not only could I get a snow bike but a ti 29'er was also an option. Holy frick. Also, as I was checking out their website I saw that the ti 29'ers are available with custom geometry at NO ADDITIONAL COST! Now the wheels are turning. I could get myself a custom ti 29'er singlespeed for a very reasonable price. I've never been a real ti freak but the prospect of a silky smooth single speed ti 29'er is a pretty tough image to shake... Hmmm, times are tough.

This is accually a 69'er so try to imagine it as a 29'er.


Davis with a monster bike.


Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Jason said...

Go for it! The options you get get for the price etc., are unreal. A lot of folks on the boards blather on about where it's made, budget Ti vs. hi zoot steel etc., I say ballz!

Ti is more than some "look at me" frame material- it looks sexy, rides plush, won't corrode, and holy F Davis can get you one made however the f you want for $1K. Go for it I say. Now if you cold get Davis to put a Relish shock on one.... :)

I feel for you on the weekend warrior thing. I'm not only that now, but a rail trail rat. DOH! Soon I'll be turning my bar ends skyward and getting a big fuzzy seat.

j

rick is! said...

yeah, for a guy like me it really doesn't matter where the frame is made. I figure I love my el mariachi which has fairly heavy steel tubing so even if the ti frame has somewhat lower grade ti it'll still feel sweet under my arse!

go idea about the relish. I wonder if he could be talked into that???