Wednesday, June 04, 2008

today

This weekend's race report is in the works, I promise!

Meanwhile, yesterday I got out for a kickass mountain bike ride. To be honest, I wasn't expecting much from the ride. I'd be riding my local double track trails that I've ridden about a bazillion times, my legs were still tired from the race and there were scattered thunder storms rolling through. So I headed out hoping to get at least 1.5 hours and if things went well, maybe a bit more.

It turned out to be a great ride. The legs weren't top notch but they didn't seem sore, just a bit sluggish and most importantly, I discovered a bunch of new trails (still double track but narrower and twistier than my typical trails) that would allow me to add 40 minutes to my typical loop if I so chose. They would also allow me to cut out one of the worse sections of trail as well. Win win.

I was also finally able to use my Ergon pack for an actual trail ride instead of my typical commute rides with a bit of trail thrown in. The pack performed beautifully and I basically forgot it was there except when I fished my pb&j sandwich out for dinner and discovered that it still LOOKED like a pb&j and not a smashed squirrel left out in the hot sun for a week. Try that with a typical hydration pack. After grabbing the sandwich I decided (one of my best ideas ever) to eat the sandwich while going down a tricky and steep downhill. After a couple of white knuckle death grips the sandwich began to look like aforementioned roadkill. Oh well, still tasted fine.

Towards the end of the ride a thunder head started rolling my way so I booked it back and then, sure enough, it started raining five minutes after I was back. The ride gods smiled upon me for once!

4 comments:

Wheels said...

You could have written a brief race summary in the time it took to write about this knuckle sandwich. Give me something to sink my teeth in!

rick is! said...

I already did a "brief" race report there mister. You'll just have to be patient. Go play with your friends or something.

Wheels said...

Remember, we have no friends, just 2 wheeled ones and I already rode that one hard and put it to bed wet!

rick is! said...

sad but true.