Thursday, May 15, 2008

T-Minus 4 days

and counting before MMBA series race numero uno (if you are really bored, refresh the Maine Sport page about a thousand times and you'll see a pic of me chilling at the starting line of a race and a pic of Brynna on her trike). Overall, I'm feeling pretty good about the race but I do have a bunch of nagging question marks leading into the beginning of the season. First, and foremost, work has been a total B-I-T-C-H and not only have the hours been long keeping me from riding as much as I'd like but the stress levels have been uber high as well. In years past, I always poo-pooed the notion that stress could hinder ride performance because I always felt that the best way to burn off some stress is with a good ride. Well, it turns out I just wasn't dealing with enough stress previously for it to be an issue. That has changed. I feel like I'm in a pressure cooker on a daily basis right now and often find myself self medicating in the evening to try to chill a bit. Stress + drinking = poor performance. This weekend will give me an idea of how this will effect me this summer but I do know that I've been having some trouble completing my intervals recently and I think that is directly linked to the stress from work. Oh, and did I mention, we're trying to sell our house? Nothing stressful about that in this market!

Another big question mark on the season is my endurance. I've cut back on longer races that I'm doing this year because of time and money constraints but there are still a few scattered about the season and I'm very worried that I'm not getting in any long rides. Last year at this time I had many 4-6 hours rides in. This year I have zero. I know that I'll be able to find some time this summer for some now that most of the work on our house is done but I've got my first 6 hour race coming up in two weeks. That'll be a shock to the system for sure.

On the plus side of things, because I'm finally following a training plan I feel that what little time I get to spend on the bike is time well spent. I would say that I have pretty close to zero garbage miles so far this year. Sometimes it feels like work having a regimented training plan but I know that for me being able to compete on race day will more than make up for the sacrifice.

Not to be forgotten is that, if all goes well, this time next year we'll be living in a sweet new house that uses almost no energy and the project that is eating me alive at work will finally be complete so life can get back to normal again. Only 12 months to go! :)

3 comments:

Wheels said...

My worthless words of wisdom is to not use this race as a guide for your fitness. You know this course, it's a beater. I think the 29'ers have an advantage and whomever rides the smoothest will be in a position to win, endurance be damned! Let's just go out and have some fun and put sticks in the juniors' spokes!

Travis said...

Man with all the crap you have going on the most important thing is to have fun...first place, last place whatever the Hell ever.

Enjoy the race, enjoy your family and everything will work itself out.

rick is! said...

thanks guys. only one more day and we'll find out!