Friday, April 06, 2007

Sorry mom

Woo-hooo, bring on the weekend! Talk about some sucky weather for riding. First the temps drop back into the 20’s and 30’s (30’s in February is sweet but sucks serious donkey ass in April) add in some light rain and then top it off with 1’+ of wet heavy snow and what do you get? That’s right, endless trainer hours. Thankfully for me, this crap just so happened to coincide with a rest week so it turned out to be ok. I’ve had some nice, easy trainer spins, a little cyclo-core work and some extra sleep. This should be just what the doctor ordered because at the beginning of the week, the thought of riding in the nasty weather had about as much appeal as running around with Jason’s chamois over my head for a day. I suspect that even if this hadn’t been scheduled as a rest week I would have made it one anyway because as Mr. Friel says, “Listen to your body”. My body wanted a rest apparently. This weekend, if the weather turns around, I’ll try to get some road mileage in.

Speaking of chamois’ I’ve got about five pair of shorts with the chamois falling out (I suspect the massive power I produce blew the stitches, or maybe it’s the massive gas, one or the other) and my mother has graciously agreed to fix them for me. I made sure she realized that she’d be working in an area that sees some serious cheek and scrote time. She seemed ok with it though as long as they were well washed but maybe I’ll throw in an exorcism too, just in case. In a couple of weeks I’ll be able to use all of my shorts again, hooray for me.

In more interesting, less disgusting news, I ordered my race wheels for the season the other day. It’s basically the same build as last year with Hope P2 hubs, db spokes and alloy nips but the rim choice has changed. I’ve decided to try out the Stans Arch rims. They’re about the same weight as last years Delgado Disc rims and the Bonty rims I was also considering but the big difference is that with their special bead hook, its much easier to run them tubeless without having the tire bead fail and you don’t need to use the conversion kits to get them to work, you just put in some Stans juice, pump it up and you’re ready to go. That’s the theory at least, we’ll see how well it works. If it doesn’t work, I’ll throw a tube in and I’ll be running the same wheels as everyone else, no harm done.

2 comments:

Jason said...

5 beers after the 101 I'll see what I can do about getting that chamois on your head! HA!

My chamois is rotting out of my Bikeman shorts for sure. Like vaporized undies. I guess that's why we switched vendors this year.

Wheels sound great. Mine sit in the basement awaiting the mamasita (tart!)

Tell your mom I'll be sending my shorts pronto. HA!

rick is! said...

yeah, verge isn't on my highlist right now. Hopefully my mom can do a nice thin seam. The shorts are quickly becoming useless anyway so might as well try.