Wednesday, January 03, 2007

The commute

Finally managed to get a commute into work again today. I think its been about 2-3 weeks since I've been able to because of scheduling conflicts and such. Unfortunately, I felt like total dog doody the whole time but it was still nice to be out. If you're really bored, you can check out the gps map info at motionbased.com from the ride. The best way to view it is in the hybrid (map and satellite images). If the temps ever cool off again, I'll do the commute on the Dos Niner so that I can map out the trails on the way in. One of these days but right now, the woods are in a perpetual mud season. F'in global warming. Some people dig the warmer temps but this 40 degree bull just doesn't cut it. Lots of rain and not warm temps to dry things out leads to no mountain biking. Plus, riding in the snow and ice is damn cool.

Speaking of which, Saturday saw me on an interesting road ride. The plan was to ride to Marcy's mother's place to visit with her brother who was up from S.C. for the week. About 30mins into the ride it started to snow like a mofo. Not a heavy snow but a really small particle (sort of sand like) snow which quickly made the roads very slick. Slick enough that I was afraid to use the brakes for fear of my 23c road tires slipping and sending me to the pavement. With much care, I was able to make it about 24 miles before Marcy mercilously caught up to me and swept me up in the rolling toaster on her way up. Thank god because it was getting mighty scary having to worry about my ass getting leveled by 2 tons of steel.


This pic is from about 5 minutes into the snow while there was still "some" traction. After this show, I was too worried about dying to bother taking any more.
From Ride to Party

1 comment:

Jason said...

nice ride.

hey shoot me your e mail at
jmahokey(at)tribweb.com

thanks

j